Thank you for your interest in submitting to the BPJ.
We’re open to a wide range of forms and styles in contemporary poetry. We’re always watching for new poets, quickened language, and work that offers a fresh purchase on the political or social landscape.
The editors read every poem that comes in over the transom. We respond to manuscripts we know aren't for us as soon as we've read them. The rest we circulate among the editorial board members and continue to winnow. At face-to-face, long-weekend-long meetings, we read aloud those poems in which we have strong interest and collaborate to choose an issue from among them.
For more information about the journal, our various call for submissions, and our editorial process—and to read work we’ve published in the past—visit our website at www.bpj.org.
▸ We read regular submissions during two open reading periods:
- Our Winter Open Reading Period runs from January 1 through February 28.
- Our Summer Open Reading Period runs from June 1 through August 31.
Note about open reading periods: We can receive 800 fee-free submissions per month. Once we've received 800 in any month of the open reading period, submissions will close until the beginning of the following month. If we reach 800 during the final month of the period, regular submissions will close until our next open reading period.
▸ We consider submissions for the Adrienne Rich Award for Poetry from March 1 to April 30.
▸ We consider manuscripts for the Chad Walsh Chapbook Series from October 1 to November 30.
Guidelines for all reading periods and contests are available on our website. See the submission forms below for specific guidelines pertaining to current and upcoming calls.
Beloit Poetry Journal invites submissions for
The Adrienne Rich Award for Poetry
- $1,500 prize for a single poem
- Judge: Ellen Bass
- Submissions Open March 1 - April 30, 2020
- Submit 1-3 unpublished poems on any subject in any style up to a maximum of 10 pages per entry. (We enjoy long poems!)
- Reading fee of $15 per entry. A limited number of complimentary entries are available to poets for whom the fee presents a hardship. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Submitters paying the $15 fee may purchase a 1-year subscription to the BPJ for only $15, nearly half off the regular subscription price. (An additional shipping charge applies to international subscribers.)
- Simultaneous submissions welcome. Please notify us immediately of publication elsewhere by leaving a message in Submittable.
- We regret we that cannot accept entries after the deadline or changes to poems after submission.
- Please no translations (though we are happy to see these during our regular reading periods).
- Kindly refrain from placing your name anywhere on the attached manuscript.
- The editors will consider all submissions for publication.
- Finalists will be notified by June 30; the winner will be announced and published in the Fall issue of the BPJ.
- We follow the CLMP Guidelines for contests and are committed, in all we do, to the highest ethical standards. If you are a personal friend, family member, or student of any BPJ editor or of the judge, or if you are a former or current intern or staff member of the BPJ, please refrain from submitting.
“…every poem breaks a silence that had to be overcome…”