Thank you for your interest in submitting to the BPJ.
We’re open to a wide range of forms and styles in contemporary poetry. We’re always watching for new poets, quickened language, and work that offers a fresh purchase on the political or social landscape.
The editors read every poem that comes in over the transom. We respond to manuscripts we know aren't for us as soon as we've read them. The rest we circulate among the editorial board members and continue to winnow. At face-to-face, long-weekend-long meetings, we read aloud those poems in which we have strong interest and collaborate to choose an issue from among them.
For more information about the journal, our various call for submissions, and our editorial process—and to read work we’ve published in the past—visit our website at www.bpj.org.
▸ We read regular submissions during two open reading periods:
- Our Winter Open Reading Period runs from January 1 through February 28.
- Our Summer Open Reading Period runs from June 1 through August 31.
Note about open reading periods: We can receive 800 fee-free submissions per month. Once we've received 800 in any month of the open reading period, submissions will close until the beginning of the following month. If we reach 800 during the final month of the period, regular submissions will close until our next open reading period.
▸ We consider submissions for the Adrienne Rich Award for Poetry from March 1 to April 30.
▸ We consider manuscripts for the Chad Walsh Chapbook Series from October 1 to November 30.
Guidelines for all reading periods and contests are available on our website. See the submission forms below for specific guidelines pertaining to current and upcoming calls.
Beloit Poetry Journal invites submissions for
The Chad Walsh Chapbook Series
- Open to any poet writing in English, regardless of publication history
- $2500 prize (NEW for 2020), 50 author copies (perfect bound, full-color cover), and an in-depth editorial consultation
- Winning chapbook distributed to every BPJ subscriber and sold separately (print run of approximately 1,500)
- BPJ editors will read all submissions and select a manuscript for publication
- Submissions open October 1–November 30
- Results announced in January
- Selected manuscript published in spring
- Submit (via Submittable) a manuscript of 20-35 pages of poetry; each poem should begin on its own page.
- Reading fee of $20 per entry. You may submit additional manuscripts by paying an additional reading fee for each. A limited number of fee-free entries are available to poets for whom the reading fee presents a hardship. (Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.)
- Submitters paying the $20 fee may purchase a 1-year subscription to the BPJ for only $15, nearly half off the regular subscription price. (An additional shipping charge applies to international subscribers.)
- While individual poems may have appeared in periodicals, online, etc., the manuscript as a whole must be previously unpublished.
- Include a table of contents; if applicable, include an acknowledgements page that lists where poems appeared previously.
- We welcome simultaneous submissions; you may simply withdraw your manuscript (via Submittable) if it is accepted for publication elsewhere.
- At this time we aren’t considering translations or multi-author chapbooks, and we ask that you don’t submit manuscripts that include visual art.
- During the contest period, we can’t consider changes to manuscripts, though there will be time for editing before the selected chapbook is published.
- We follow CLMP Guidelines for contests and are committed, in all we do, to the highest ethical standards. If you are a close personal friend, family member, or student (outside of brief, one-off workshops) of any BPJ editor or if you are a former or current intern or staff member of the BPJ, please refrain from submitting. Email us at email@example.com if you have questions about eligibility.